Friday, July 15, 2016

Getting Ideas from Old Catalogs

Catalogs used to be an invaluable resource and you could buy just about anything you could imagine from them. Here's an ad from the Sears catalog c. 1910s for a house.



The materials were shipped to the lot and then you just put it together. These were sometimes called "kit homes" and I have been in a couple from around this period and they are really lovely. As neat as it is to buy a house from a catalog, I want to focus on the clothes available for sale.


Here's a page from a 1921 catalog (courtesy of the wonderful Retrowaste site).



These designs would be fun and easy to recreate and I can make them in the same colors too. 

I found this scarf (bottom right) in a book I have about 1930s fashion. It was available in the 1939-40 Sears catalog and I'm going to do my best to make one just like it. I've got the yarn all ready to go.






Here's another page from a 1927 catalog I also found at Retrowaste.



I really like the hats shown here (particularly the striped ones) and I'm so glad to find another ad in color. It's really fun to remake these vintage clothes and when possible I like to be able to get the right colors too. 

I have some vintage clothes (dresses, a velvet capelet, a couple of hats) from the 1920s and 1930s but I don't like to actually wear them very often because I don't want to wear them out after they have survived this long. I have a beautiful cashmere camel colored coat from the 1950s and I do wear that every winter but it's sturdier than something like a dress as it was meant to get a lot of wear. Usually I shop around and try to find new clothes that have a vintage style and look to them.

Vintage recreations are a lot of what my mom and I are making for our Etsy shop. I know there are others out there who feel the same way I do about wearing vintage items and we're happy to have a place where you can find new vintage style clothes/accessories and not have to worry about accidentally messing up an actual old, fragile article of clothing.






No comments:

Post a Comment