Thursday, July 14, 2016

Century Old Patterns & Questionable Fashion Choices


While on the hunt for vintage patterns, I found a great site called the Antique Pattern Library.


They have PDFs available to download for free with patterns for crocheting, knitting, tatting, embroidery, sewing, and a lot of other crafts. I have only looked at the crochet and knitting books so far and some of them go back to the mid-1800s. The oldest one I have downloaded is from 1844. I plan to make some of the things from these old pattern books and sell them on my Etsy site as part of what I am going to call the Centennial Collection. This will include items made from patterns that are around 100 years old or older. I’ll also post some of the patterns I’ve found there on the blog from time to time.

I’ve got one women’s knit scarf about half finished and it’s made from a pattern from 1917. I’m using the same colors as specified in the pattern too.








The books from the nineteen-teens often have patterns for motor coats and automobile bonnets. Some cars from around that time were at least partially open and did not have heating systems so if you were driving around in the winter you would need to bundle up to stay warm. I’ve noticed that scarves from this same period were generally very wide and that would have provided extra warmth too.
The scarf pattern shown above is from a book put out by Corticelli yarns and while looking through it I found this crazy thing.




Goodness gracious! I’d hate to come across somebody on a darkened street wearing that. I’ve seen these in some other pattern books and they are usually called helmets. I don’t think they would actually give you much protection. All kidding aside, I’m sure this would keep you warm if you were out ice fishing or hunting in the winter.
Here’s another one from the Priscilla Sweater Book (1917). This guy doesn’t look like a would-be bank robber but he does still look a little menacing and pervy. 
 


There's one for kids too!


Yep, just as creepy as the adult versions.
I think the moral of the story here is, if you wear one of these, you will look like you’re up to no good, but you won’t be cold!









No comments:

Post a Comment