Thursday, July 21, 2016

1920s Ladies Jackets and One Big Fashion Faux Pas

 
I found the pictures of these beautiful jackets here in a crochet book from Corticelli dated 1922. Many of these are called tuxedo jackets or tuxedo blouses in the book. I think they are called that because of the collar they have that mimics the collar and lapel of a tuxedo as the patterns call it a tuxedo collar.

I think the ladies modeling these lovely items went a little heavy on the blush - ha! You can see the tuxedo style collar more clearly in this jacket from the same book.


I haven't tried to make any of the sweaters or jackets from these old booklets yet because it can be difficult to determine what type of yarn or what size hook/needles to use as the naming and numbering have changed. The terminology can be different as well.
 
Here is a yarn conversion chart that I found to be helpful. For now though I am mostly sticking with making scarves or wraps from these really old patterns as they are less complicated and easier to replicate. I am making things to sell so quick turnaround is important for me however, if you have time, it would be a fun project to try and make one of these. 
 
I know styles change, I mean I can look back at a picture of myself from 10 or 15 years ago and wonder why I thought something looked good at the time, but I can't imagine that the sweater from 1917 on the right in the picture below was ever in fashion. The poor guy wearing it is clearly in agreement with me. He's perfectly happy with the sweater on the left and then somebody put that abomination on him and he turned sour fast! Hopefully he at least got a decent paycheck for having to wear that thing.
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment