Wednesday, July 20, 2016

1920s and 1930s Outerwear and My Favorite Flapper

I know it's hot outside and the last thing people are thinking about right now are winter coats but, when you're running a shop, you have to be prepared ahead of time for each season. Before we know it, the weather will begin to turn cold and the coats will come out from the back of the closet.

The 1920s and 1930s are my favorite decades for fashion and I especially love the winter wear. Look at these beautiful 1930s coats (and hats!).
Fur lined collars were very popular during those years but I think this woman is taking it to extremes!

These coats below look like they are from the early to mid-1930s and I love seeing them in color. In the 1920s many dresses and coats had a somewhat straight line shape to them but in the 1930s style changes to be more feminine and figure hugging as you can see in the items below.  
I let out an audible gasp when I came across this pattern in Joanns. It's a reproduction of a pattern from 1927 and it's gorgeous! It has options for a removeable cape and a fur lined or plain collar.
1927 is one of my favorite years for many reasons. My grandpa was born that year, it's the year the first feature length talking picture debuted (The Jazz Singer), and it was also a big year for my favorite actress Clara Bow.


 
Clara was the quintessential flapper and in 1927 she had two big hit films with "Wings" and "It". It (1927) tells the story of a girl working in a department store who falls for the owner's son and after a bit of trouble and misunderstanding, she finds her happy ending. It's basically Cinderella for the flappers. It's a silent movie but don't let that put you off; it's a wonderful, fun film and Clara is so vivacious and alive she practically leaps off the screen and you won't even notice you can't hear them speaking.
 
You can watch the film here: 
This hat is so cute and I'd love to try and recreate it. The pic is from Clara's film Rough House Rosie (1928). It looks like a beret with a scarf attached to it along the brim.
We'll make a test coat from the pattern shown above first, and if it comes out well, we'll have them for sale at our Etsy shop later in the year. I have seen some beautiful faux fur at Joann's so we may be able to have that option as well. I love testing out new patterns because I get to keep the test version. If I can recreate Clara's hat, we'll have those available too!

No comments:

Post a Comment